John Hawkins at Right Wing News takes a poll among rightish bloggers, asking with whom in history or in present they would share a meal.
The usual suspects abound: Jesus, Shakespeare, Ayn Rand, FDR. Zzzzz.
Now I’m all for learning from the great thinkers and doers in history, but when I go out to eat with someone, I want to laugh and have fun, as well as enjoy my meal. I want to joke around as well as have those Great Intellectual Conversations. I want to Laugh Loud and invite dirty looks from the other patrons. And I want to inspire loud laughter in return, if possible.
Who would I like to dine with?
• Frank Zappa (in military intel circles, rumor has it that he was one of us; I know those guys are fun)
• Benjamin Franklin (brilliant and knew how to party as well)
• Donald Rumsfeld (a guy that devastatingly funny in public is probably a riot in private)
• Dinah Washington (a kindred spirit)
• Derek Jeter (MMMM. Okay, forget what I said about athletes)
• Laura Ingraham (that girl is hilarious; we’d be pointing and laughing at people all evening)
• Stevie Wonder (have you ever seen this guy on a talk show? Oh my God, what a funny guy; plus I wouldn’t have to obsess too much about how I looked)
• Stephen King (another funny guy; horror and humor are an intoxicating mix)
• Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (a guy that can keep a sense of humor after spending time in a Soviet gulag has got to be a great dinner companion)
• Okay, well, Jesus (the wine wouldn’t stop flowing until He knew I’d had enough)