Age and human folly, compounded by ignorance and arrogance, are a fatal combination.
--Paul Johnson in the Introduction to Art: A New History (I’m expanding my reading horizons.)
Also giving practical words of wisdom--in this case to the distaff contingent--is Right Thinking Girl. A sample:
9. Take a yoga class on the off chance that concentrating on your breathing really will bring you inner peace.
10. Inner peace is over-rated. Look for whatever makes you happy, even if it makes you crazy.
13. Know when to listen and when not to listen.
18. If you absolutely must write a love letter, write it then put it away for three days. Go back to it. If anything seems embarrassing or off to you, throw it away. Only the most certain among us should actually send a love letter. It's much easier to call; there's no paper trail and they can't prove anything.
23. Never take naps for granted.
35. Never attribute to the mundane what can be attributed to the divine.
You know what to do.